S


Saltcoats

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

One-time harbour and salt making centre, the town is now a sea-side resort with a well established shopping centre which has been pedestrianised.

  

Saltcoats related web sites


Sandyford

I am not sure of the history of Sandyford, but it is a small hamlet located at the junction of the A77 (Ayr - Glasgow) and A719 (Ayr - Galston) roads at the Ayr end, and possibly in history has been a Toll. In the background Prestwick Airport - the main runway approach line is almost directly over Sandyford.


Seamill

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


Skares

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


Skelmorlie

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


Sorn

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A small village, located alongside the River Ayr, it has won British and European awards for it's tidy environment and floral displays.

  

The whole village, from it's public areas, including the pinic area by the river and the domestic gardens are maintained to an extemely high standard - well done the folks of Sorn.

A former mill village, the church dates back to the 17th century. Nearby is Sorn Castle which dates back to the 15th century. This is occassional open to the public in the summer months.


Springside

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


Stair

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A small wide spread village, it's school now being the Community Centre.
It's does have an excellent wee pub which sits nearby the Church

  

Stair Inn and Stair Parish Church

  

Picturs of the River Ayr and Stair Bridge taken in January 2001 - a great deal of the river is covered in ice.

Stair related web sites
Stair Parish Church


Stevenston

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A town of very early origin, first mentioned in a charter of 1240. Stevenston has passed trhough a period of coal mining, iron working and laterly the ICI manufacturing and research complex at Ardeer.

  

St. Quivox

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A small village comprising of little more than an 18th century Church and a few cottages. It is dwarfed by the nearby Auchincruive College.


St Quivox Church.

Stewarton

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

   

Stewarton related web sites
John Knox Church, Stewarton


Straiton

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

Another beautiful wee scottish village. The church dates back to the 15th century, but has been added to over the years and restored at the beginning of the 20th century. Above the village to the east, a monument towers on top of Craigengower ( more often called 'Monument Hill')commemoration Colonel Blair of Blairquhan who dies at the battle of Inkerman in 1854.

Blairquhan Estate is located to the west of the village, and the house and gardens is open to the public on occasions throughout the summer months.


Symington

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A small country village with a small but beautiful Norman Church.

The Church was founded in the 12th Century by a Norman Knight Symon Lockhart. In 1252 the Church was granted to the Trinitarian Monastery at Failford (Just outside Mauchline). The Church was restored in the 18th Century and again in 1919. Whilst doing this restoration it was discovered that the earlier restoration had covered up some marvellous architectural features including an open-work timber roof.

The village still retains its original narrow streets and is classified as a conservation area.


© 2000 Author : -Bob McIntyre


Non Frame Users Index
Frame Users Index
Visit the Ayrshire Scouting Pages