N


Netherthird

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


New Cumnock

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

To the south of the town of Cumnock, on the A76, one comes to New Cumnock. The middle of the town is known as the "Castle", but there is no sign of a one. To the west is an old ruined church which stands on top of Castlehill, which would have been the natural position of a castle

At the north of the town, the railway station has been re-opened and there are regular services to Kilmarnock.

The town was originally a mining community, and opposite Castlehill is a memorial to the mining community in the form of a safety lamp on a plinth.

As well as coal mining, there was also small amounts of lead, copper, graphite and antimony mined in the vicinity.

Newmilns

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

Locate in the Irvine Valley, east of Kilmarnock, the town used to be at the centre of a weaving and lacing making industry.

There are many interesting buildings in the town, some of which can be easily missed such as the 16th century Newmilns Tower behind the Loudoun Arms.

During the American Civil War, the weavers of Newmilns sent a message of support to Abraham Lincoln, who, in turn, sent them an American Flag. The flag was lost over the years, but in 1949 The American Embassy presented the town with a replacement Flag which is now located in the Church.

Newton on Ayr

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

Newton on Ayr was originally a burgh in it's own right on the north side of the River Ayr. In 1873, the Burgh and the royal Burgh of Ayr merged.

The main feature of the old burgh is the Georgian Steeple which stands as a traffic Island at King Street.


Author : -Bob McIntyre


Non Frame Users Index
Frame Users Index
Visit the Ayrshire Scouting Pages