M


Maidens

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


Mauchline

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

Mauchline has very strong connections with Robert Burns, he married here and the town has many references in his works, like 'Poosie Nansies' which was his locally or "howlf".

It is primarily a farming community, bit located on the main road south and has good road connections with the west coast.



Maybole

Located nine miles south of Ayr, it is an idea residential area, being situated in a beautiful part of the south Ayrshire countryside, not far from Culzean Country Park and Castle, the Carrick and Galloway hills and some of the finest beaches in the Firth of Clyde.

  
Maybole Town take from the East of the village and the Main Street, Maybole.

Maybole related web sites
The Maybole Community Page


Minishant

The village of Minishant looking South.

Minishant related web sites
Minishant, South Ayrshire


Monkton

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

The village of Monkton is located one mile north, as the crow flies, of Prestwick.

The village was originally a religious settlement, but through time agriculture became the basis of the village's economy. In the 19th century a small scale weaving industry was introduced, but today the village is basically a residential settlement.

Originally situated on the main Ayr to Glasgow road, Monkton was a busy crossroads with five roads radiating outwards from it. With the introduction of the Ayr bypass and the airport ring-road, traffic through the village has fallen considerably.

The village has changed little over the years. The war memorial has been re-located from it's originally position at the Cross to the corner of Main Street and Tarbolton Road, and whilst of the traditional single story cottages still stand, many have been altered over the years.

Architecturally, the most important structure os the ruins of St. Cuthberts Church, in Main Street. Built several centuries ago as a single oblong chamber, it has been considerably changed over time, before being re-roofed in 1837. The Church and graveyard, because of their historical importance, are protected buildings.

Also protected are the neighbouring Manse to the Parish Church, and it's stables. The manse was constructed in 1822 and is a two story building with a central porch.

   

The above stone has lain in a field just outside the village since it's arrival at the end of the Ice Age. It was relocated into the village in September 1998.


Moscow

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


Mossblown

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

Taken at the crossroads at Mossblown, looking down the Annbank Road.

Originally a small mining community to the northwest of Annbank


Murkirk

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.


Author : -Bob McIntyre


Non Frame Users Index
Frame Users Index
Visit the Ayrshire Scouting Pages