Hollybush is a growing community just off the A713 Ayr - Dalmellington Road. Near by Skeldon House, an impressive Georgian mansion, and Skeldon Mills which was rebuilt in the early 1960's. The old Hollybush House used to be an hotel and is now a home for ex-serviceman and woman. Also nearby is Balgreen Farm, famed for it's Clydesdale horses. Just to the east of Hollybush are the Craigs of Kyle which gives an excellent view of Ayrshire on a good day.
The location of two nucleur Power Stations, although only 'Hunterson B' is now operating. The Station was built in the 1950's and is at the an area of the River Clyde which has deep water and nearby a deep water port was built, and used by British Steel for transportation of iron ore. That British Steel business has long since gone. However the Deep water port still exists and is currently run by Clydeport and is used for the importation of coal.
Visits to the Power Station may be arranged through the Visitors Centre at Hunterston.
Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.
In days gone by, Hurlford boasted two railway stations, with engine sheds and a repair shop. The town is located just east of Kilmarnock and is the start of the Irvine Valley through to Lanark. It's only claim to fame now-a-days is the whiskey bond.
Author : -Bob McIntyre