D


Dailly

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

There is occasional confusion with this village and the original settlement, now know as Old Dailly, is a hamlet of little more than a dozen houses around the ruins of the old church. "New Dailly", like its namesake, lies in fine valley countryside near the banks of the River Girvan. In the area are the castles and estates of Killochan, Bargany, Dalquharran, Penkill and Kilkerran. The village now hosts a marvellous private Golf Course.

The Daily Church was built in 1766 as a T-shaped Renaissance building with a bell tower at the north-west end.


Dalmellington

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

This town in the south east of the County was once a centre of the Ayrshire coal mining industry. Apart from an open cast between Dalmellington and New Cumnock, the industry has all gone as has the nearby brick and iron works. Another industry in the old town was weaving, since gone as well.

Nearby is Loch Doon which was used during the first World War for aerial gunnery practise. The Macadam family, of tarmacadam fame, lived at Craigengillian Estate on the outskirts of the town.

 

 

 

 


Dalry

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

The town dates back to the 18th Century. Orginally a weaving and textile town, there was a time during the Industrial Revolution when it was also a coal and iron town. Today the main industry, while there are still small textile companies in the town, is a chemical plant on the outskirts of the town which is involved the manufacture of vitamins.

Nearby is the ancestral Blair Castle, the core of which dates from the 15th Century.


Dalrymple

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A farming village lying 6 miles south of Ayr, on the banks of the River Doon.


Darvel

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

Situated in the Irvine Valley to the east of Kilmarnock, Darvel is famous for it's lace production. At one time it used to produce half of the UK's lace.
The lace produced here is a unique product as it is still produced on Victorian machines.

The town is laid out with straight streets on a site gently sloping towards the River Irvine. Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of penicillin was born here.


Darvel Main Street with Loudoun Hill in the background.

Dreghorn

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

Dreghorn has an octagonal church, built around the 1780's with a needle spire.Within the church, windows by Gordon Webster and Susan Bradbury. Across from the church is the Dunlop Memorial Hall which contains a mural of road transportation and commemorates John Boyd Dunlop who patented the pneumatic tyre in 1888.


Drongan

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

An almost entirely new community in the late 1960's/early 1970's on the banks of the River Coyle. In the those days mining was the main industry, with many of the men working at the Killoch Pit, which was state of the art at that time.

  

Drybridge

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A small community on the road between Dundonald and Dreghorn. The name comes from a bridge that was built over one of Scotland's first railway lines between Kilmarnock and Troon.


Dundonald

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

A country village , but steeped in history. The current castle was built by Robert II in 1371, but in fact the site was a hill fort between 500 and 200BC. Three medieval castles were built on the site between the early 12th century and 1647.

The current castle was used as a summer residence of the Scottish Kings.

 

The main street is little changed despite the many new houses that have sprung up in the surrounding area.

Dundonald related web sites
Royal Dundonald Castle

Dundonald Scout Group


 

Dunlop

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

An old mill village, it features a number of interesting buildings. The now Church hall, seen in the picture was originally the former Free Church.


Dunlop village, Stewarton Road looking towards the Church Hall.

The Church, at the Townsfoot, features beautiful stained glass windows, one of which looks up the narrow part of the Main Street, dominating the old terraced cottages.


Also in Main Street is Kirkland House, a crow-stepped greystone building with a capped stair tower, which was the former manse for the village.


Dunure

Click here for map of area on a separate browser window.

6 miles south of Ayr, a small fishing village with a fine harbour. Nearby is the remains of Dunure Castle.

  
Dunure Harbour and Dunure Castle taken from above the Village.

Dunure related web sites
The Dunure Community


Author : -Bob McIntyre


Non Frame Users Index
Frame Users Index
Visit the Ayrshire Scouting Pages